Monday, January 18, 2010

Beginning Of The Year Update

Well, where should I begin? We had a nice break at Christmas but are now back into the swing of things. For science, we ended our unit on the human body and are now working with a textbook to finish out the kindergarten standards. The focus is on the earth and it's natural resources. Pretty interesting, but I will definitely need to make it a little more exciting for Cameron by adding activities to reinforce what is being taught in the book.

Cameron started Gymnastics again at Tumble Time and he is loving it! I wanted to get him into doing some kind of scheduled physical activity and, since he has no interest in sports at the moment, I thought gymnastics would be good. And it has turned out to be great for him. And the best part is that Horizon is paying for it. The students are allowed to use a portion of their yearly allotment on PE, so we chose gymnastics.

We are still continuing in the same math and language arts curriculum that we have been using all school year. I am constantly amazed at how well Cameron can read. And he loves to do it, too. Sometimes he reads to Sammy and it just melts my heart. We are thinking about signing him up for the Paws For Reading program at the Cameron Park Library. Every Tuesday at 4:00 he would go to the library and read to the dogs (they are all guide dogs in training). He really wants to do it, but he also has AWANA on Tuesday nights so we need to decide if we want him to have 2 activities back-to-back like that.

This might sound nuts, but I am already planning some topics to study for the next school year. I figure I should start now so I have plenty of time to prepare. We are thinking about a study on the railroad systems with a focus on the early U.S. railroads. I got this idea the last time we were at the Train Museum in Sacramento. Cameron seemed to be receptive to it, so we'll see.

I still need to work on being disciplined with his school work. Luckily, I have time because he is only in Kindergarten and the amount of work he needs to do is so little that we can get it done in about 1 hour total per day. I'm just not that good at making sure we do it every day. Some days we will do a lot of work and then we might skip the next day or two. That might be a good New Year's resolution: stick to my schedule and do school work every weekday. OK, I am committing to it. let's just see if I stick to it.

1 comment:

  1. I hear doing a little every day is better than a lot in a day. Their brains absorb it more in little chunks. So I'm trying to be better too a doing some every day, even when we're sick!

    ReplyDelete